The business structure for design and construction of a new project, whether it be a Custom Home or Commercial building, is typically contracted in one of two ways: the Owner hiring a separate Architect and separate General Contractor, or one entity that is licensed to provide both services,
in either case, who does the Owner really have, as an independent fiduciary to them only and is a seasoned Resource, looking after their personal interests exclusively and confidentially?
As an example, Barry Shaw & Associates is currently retained as the Homeowner’s independent Architect and General Contractor Consultant, providing them with project optimization services (i.e. reduction in construction costs) for their new custom home project. The scope of work is a new ground up 4,500 sq. ft. home and detached Studio/Garage.
In one of our initial meetings and before a permit was pulled, just two insightful architecture/construction cost saving suggestions paid for our fee and saved the Owner’s over $15,000 in construction costs, that were slated to be spent (for more detailed information, please see Barry’s Blog: ‘Owners Advocate-A Resource For Savings).
This was accomplished in a collaborative manner, before plans were submitted to the building department and along with the clients architect, so drawings and specifications could be revised as needed, to optimize the cost effectiveness of upcoming construction contracts.
Consultant Services Available Include:
- Receiving direct-cost Supplier pricing for: quality, environmentally appropriate and virtually maintenance-free materials, that are available from our pool of resources
- Contract Safeguards implemented into trade ‘boiler-plate’ agreements; ensuring additional protection against excessive cost and time overruns within Subcontracts
- Construction quality specifications and cost saving alternatives, after review of the plans
- Conduct bidding process for selection of project architect and general contractor
- Photographic documentation of the construction process
- Explore/rework alternate floor plan designs for: efficiency, functionality (lighting/finishes/equipment optimization) and cost benefits (i.e. structural design)
- Contractor performance resolution during construction
- Client construction job-walk analysis
- Owner Special Requests
These services are available throughout the U.S. and can be provided remotely and/or on-site and at varying frequencies that relate to the project workload and Client requests.
Our offices in Denver, Colorado and Los Angeles, California will service the logistics needed for each project.