The business structure for design and construction of a new project, whether it be a Custom Home or Commercial building, is typically contracted in one of two ways: the Owner hiring a separate Architect and separate General Contractor, or one entity that is licensed to provide both services, commonly know as a Design-Build company.
in either case, who does the Owner really have, as an independent fiduciary to them only and is a seasoned Resource, looking after their personal interests exclusively and confidentially?
As an example, Barry Shaw & Associates, Inc. is currently retained as an independent Architect and General Contractor Consultant, providing On-Call Consultant services for Homeowners in Santa Monica, CA. The scope of work is a new ground up 5,000 sq. ft. home and detached Studio/Garage.
In one of our initial meetings and before a permit was pulled, just two insightful architecture/construction cost saving suggestions paid for our fee and saved the Owner’s over $20,000 in construction costs, that were slated to be spent.
This was accomplished in a collaborative manner, before plans were submitted to the building department and along with the clients architect, so drawings and specifications could be revised as needed, to optimize the cost effectiveness of future construction trade agreements.
Base Consultant Services Include:
- Receiving direct-cost Supplier pricing for: quality, environmentally appropriate and virtually maintenance-free materials, that are available from our pool of resources over the past three decades.
- Optimization of a cohesive team of Subcontractors, whom have proven their ability to provide a timely, cost effective and quality job, with follow-up service as needed, after the project has been completed.
- Contract Safeguards implemented into trade ‘boiler-plate’ agreements; ensuring additional protection against excessive cost and time overruns within subcontracts.
- Construction schedule, quality and cost saving alternatives, after review of the plans
- Cost data cross checking throughout the job, between field work and contracts, averting runaway budget overruns.
- Conjoining with other team members before and during construction, to provide the Owner with unrealized project benefits
Above Consulting services can be provided remotely and/or on-site and are now available from our Colorado office in the cities of: Denver, Erie, Fort Collins, Vail, Boulder, Aspen and Broomfield, as well as California cities of: Los Angeles, Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica, Westwood and Brentwood.
Adjunct Consulting Services Available Include:
- Photographic documentation of the construction process
- Explore/rework alternate floor plan designs for: schedule efficiency, quality and cost optimization
- Contractor performance resolution during construction
- Client construction job-walk analysis
- Owner Special Requests
For more information or discussion on how our Consulting Services could best fit your needs and benefit you, please inquire at our contact page.
Best to you always!
Barry R. Shaw AIA, G.C.
Barry Shaw & Associates, Inc.
CA CO HI ID TX